Monday, April 13, 2015

Week 22: Just another week in the Great Big North‏

Throughout high school, I've always hated final exams. Being out on a mission, I still do, but for a different reason. Most of our investigators could not meet with us or come to church this week because of their finals in college classes. *sigh* So... this week wasn't too eventful.

One cool experience this week. We were out contacting when Elder Womack remembered that we had to visit this less-active member's house. So we immediately went to visit her and her two sons and daughter. When we went, we found out that the daughter had just turned 8 a couple days ago, and one of the older brothers was talking that morning with her about how they should call the missionaries to come teach her so she can be baptized. And then we show up that day! The brother said it was an answer to his prayer. So that was cool. We are hoping to get them back to church.

Chinese is still rough. I continue to understand more and more when people speak, but my speaking seems like it isn't improving for some reason. Many of my sentences still sound awkward and don't fit into Chinese grammar. Some days I feel like I am making so much progress, and other days are just discouraging when I see how much I still need to learn. But Sister Clayton, our mission president's wife, described it as driving a car in a bunch of ice and slush (very applicable to this area). Sometimes you are just pushing on the gas petal but don't go anywhere. But sometimes the tire catches some traction and you surprise yourself when you start moving forward. Sometimes you are stuck in the snow and have to adjust what you are doing in order to get that traction. Learning a language can sometimes feel like that. I guess I have just been in the "spinning tires" phases for the last couple weeks. We believe in the gift of tongues, but I have learned that the gift of tongues does not work all at once. Sometimes it takes continuous effort and some patience to see the car move forward.

Elder Holt
Hóng Zhǎnglǎo
洪長老


Sporting some St. Patrick's Day sunglasses
Elder Cheng and I playing on a ping pong table we found in our apartment
 

No comments:

Post a Comment