This
has been a CRAZY week! With transfer week, typing up 200 travel plans,
finalizing everything, new mission president, and a bunch of people to
meet with... it's been wild but fun!
President
Shields is such a fireball! It is interesting, there were certain things
we needed to learn from President Clayton. How to partner with members
as a team and help them be successful with missionary work. How to teach
simply and clearly so we can get out of the way and let the spirit be
the real teacher. How to nourish a growing spirit through daily contact
and helping them with what they need.
But
something that we felt has been missing from the mission recently (and
something I am continually trying to work on in myself) is a sense of
urgency for the work. Searching and talking with everyone we see because
we don't want to miss people who are prepared. Being exactly obedient
because we love the Lord and want the blessing for those we teach. Using
time effectively and efficiently because we are on the Lord's errand on
His time, and we can't afford to waste it.
And
if anyone is qualified and capable of pumping up a group of teenagers
and young adults to go out and fulfill their missionary purpose, it's
definitely President Shields! He came to the Canada Toronto Mission
sprinting forward! He was a successful lawyer and a Stake president over
a YSA stake of 5,000 people before he came here! And it really shows in
his energy, genuine interactions with missionaries, and power and
authority in his teaching. He is super good at relating to YSA age
people. He reminds me of Troy Dunn or one of those other motivational
youth speakers. He'll joke around with you, laugh with you, and really
try to be your friend. And one of the first things he wanted to do is go
out teaching his first day here! You walk away from that man with a
heightened sense of urgency! He is definitely what the CTM needs right
now! When I first met him at the mission home and shook his hand, it
just felt right. He is the key holder for the mission. It's really a
privileged to be able to work with him. There is so much to learn from
both President and Sister Shields! I can't wait to see them in action
these next few weeks!
Before President Clayton
left, he told us the Shields will take this mission to a level it has
never seen before, and that this change is what is needed. At first, I
was hesitant to believe that wholeheartedly. But now it is interesting
to see how the Lord had the Claytons serve here for a time, which
changed the way we do missionary work. And now it's time for the
Shields. Both men are spiritual mountains, and each with different and
unique things to bring to the mission.
So those are some of my thoughts about the switch in mission presidency. This is my first time attempting to put those thoughts in words, just with everything running at 100 miles an hour this week! (or should I say 160 kilometers an hour... 0_o). It was sad to see President Clayton go... I'll definitely miss them! Hopefully I'll see him at the next general conference.... ;)
So those are some of my thoughts about the switch in mission presidency. This is my first time attempting to put those thoughts in words, just with everything running at 100 miles an hour this week! (or should I say 160 kilometers an hour... 0_o). It was sad to see President Clayton go... I'll definitely miss them! Hopefully I'll see him at the next general conference.... ;)
There is also the sadness of
Elder Forsyth leaving next week... I don't know how it will be when he
leaves! He has been assisting the president for 10 months now, so he has
been the one we and the Shields have been turning to for answers to
everything, haha. He has grown to be a good friend these past couple
months, and I'll really miss him. He has taught me so much, most of
which has been by the example he has set.
With
all the craziness going on, we managed to still meet with (now recent
convert) Mandeep! He is doing great! And he brought his Indian roommate
to the lesson as well! We also met with investigator Jashan. Man, he is
so prepared! Whenever we see him, he asks, "is July 10th still good for
my baptism?" We taught him the law of chastity, and apparently it
answered the questions he had all week about what standards he needs to
live to become a member of Christ's church. So he is also doing super
solid!
So much more is happening, not enough
time to write it all! Ahh! My trainer Elder Womack is going home next
week as well! And Elder Turner! And other old companions! It's so weird!
Today
we are going to Kitchener for preparation day so Elder Forsyth can
visit some of his recent converts before he goes. And hopefully I'll get
to visit Sid, the first person I have taught who got baptized! So long
ago! Feels like yesterday!
Well anyway, the
next email should come not this monday but the next. Thanks for all the
emails! Sorry I don't always reply to them all, but know that I read
them all and really appreciate them! They definitely make my week :)
Love y'all!
Elder Holt

No comments:
Post a Comment