Probably the highlight of the week was visiting a returning member
who was in the hospital. He used to always get frustrated when "bad"
people had worldly riches and "good" people were poor. However, in the
hospital, he has been reading the Book of Mormon for hours a day, and
there is an evident difference in his countenance and his perspective on
life. "I just needed to have a more eternal perspective, because God
will reward the righteous in the end," he was telling us. It's amazing
how easily reading the Book of Mormon everyday can bring the Spirit into
our lives.
Other highlights... We ate Chinese hot pot Saturday night with a Chinese YSA new convert, Allen, who just moved in. Since he didn't really know anyone in the area, our hope was to build more of a relationship with him at dinner so he'd feel more comfortable coming to church next day. Well, the hot pot was SUPER spicy, and we woke up Sunday morning with burning, upset stomachs. Then we get a text from Allen saying he feels sick from eating too much spicy food, and couldn't come to church :( I guess that backfired on us.
I'm already halfway through my last transfer... I've always poked fun at people approaching the end of their mission and would always hear about how sad they were to just think about leaving the mission. It's so different being in that position now... One of the elders I exchanged with told me, "since you don't have many days left on your mission, make each one count. And then at the end of each day, be satisfied with the work you have done." That's the motto I'm going to try to live by from now on.
Thanks for all your emails! Have a great week!
Elder Holt
Other highlights... We ate Chinese hot pot Saturday night with a Chinese YSA new convert, Allen, who just moved in. Since he didn't really know anyone in the area, our hope was to build more of a relationship with him at dinner so he'd feel more comfortable coming to church next day. Well, the hot pot was SUPER spicy, and we woke up Sunday morning with burning, upset stomachs. Then we get a text from Allen saying he feels sick from eating too much spicy food, and couldn't come to church :( I guess that backfired on us.
I'm already halfway through my last transfer... I've always poked fun at people approaching the end of their mission and would always hear about how sad they were to just think about leaving the mission. It's so different being in that position now... One of the elders I exchanged with told me, "since you don't have many days left on your mission, make each one count. And then at the end of each day, be satisfied with the work you have done." That's the motto I'm going to try to live by from now on.
Thanks for all your emails! Have a great week!
Elder Holt
No comments:
Post a Comment