Monday, December 15, 2014

Week 5: MTC Week Five!!‏

This week I have been trying to focus on the Spirit. That seemed to be the theme for most of the lessons this week. My teachers have emphasized that, as missionaries, we must teach by the Spirit. I have heard many stories here at the MTC about missionaries who were guided by the Spirit to people who the Lord had prepared. Our Branch President on Sunday during priesthood gave an intense lesson about being guided by the Spirit. It made me think about what I need to keep doing and/or change in my life in order to have those kinds of experiences. One of my main concerns is that I won't be able to understand people when they speak, and therefore not know what to say (because that happens so often here when I teach). But one of my MTC teachers said that, if you are in tune with the Spirit, the Spirit can guide you to say what your investigators need to hear, even if you don't completely understand what they are saying. I like this quote in Preach My Gospel by Gordon B. Hinckley:

“Every morning … , missionaries should get on their knees and plead with the Lord to loosen their tongues and speak through them to the blessing of those they will be teaching. If they will do this, a new light will come into their lives. There will be greater enthusiasm for the work. They will come to know that in a very real sense, they are servants of the Lord speaking in His behalf. They will find a different response from those they teach. As they do so by the Spirit, their investigators will respond under the influence of the same Spirit.”

I have been trying to put more effort and striving to qualify to have the guidance of the Spirit on my mission.

But this week has been fun. Lexi Walker sang for us on the Tuesday night devotional... it was beautiful. I was blown away by the talent this girl has. On Sunday night, we listened to the BYU Men's Choir for the devotional. That was also really cool.

Also, on Sunday, our companionship was assigned to be zone leaders. It's funny because we are still the district who has been in the MTC the least amount of time out of everyone in our zone. But I hope we can still fulfill this assignment as best we can.

Also, a sign that the gift of tongues is real... Elder Marcello was one of the previous zone leaders in our zone. He came from the Philippines, only speaking Tagalog. He is leaving on Wednesday, and in just 9 short weeks has learned to speak almost fluent English and has excellent Chinese! It's crazy, we all love him. If he can do it, knowing hardly any English before the MTC, then that gives me motivation that I can as well.

Isaiah 41:10 is my favorite scripture this week. It is one of the verses of "How Firm a Foundation," and has comforted and encouraged me to press forward because God is with me and will strengthen me.

Elder Holt
Hóng Zhǎnglǎo
 

洪長老

Doritos partaaay!!!

Temple walks are DA BEST. That's our zone. They're awesome!

Dat comp selfie doh

The ultimate display of companionship unity...

...Matching CTR Superman shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment