Monday, December 22, 2014

Week 6: MTC Week Six‏

Howdy!

This week has been full of up and downs for our district. Our district got to host new incoming missionaries again. And on Wednesday, we got a new district in our zone. And as zone leaders, our companionship had the opportunity to introduce them to the MTC and show them around. Then, the next day, two of the districts in our zone (who had been waiting for visas for Taiwan) received word that they would be reassigned and leave the MTC to the field in the next 24 hours! Since then, everything was hectic, as we helped each other get ready to leave, and said our last goodbyes. I didn't realize until they were leaving how close I had grown to the elders and sisters in our zone. Many hugs, handshakes, and tears were shared, but I'm so excited for their opportunity to finally enter the mission field. I'll miss them so much. But now it's really weird because we are now the "most experienced" district in our zone. Everyone sees us as the "veterans" when just a few weeks ago I was still one of the "newbies." It's crazy how time has flown here at the MTC!

Our Tuesday night devotional was one of the best I've been to here at the MTC. Elder Per G. Malm of the Seventy was such a powerful speaker. He compared the mission to the Lord's University.
"It is a privilege to have been accepted. It is not a sacrifice. Your families and friends will be taken care of back home. Your needs will all be provided for. Here at the Lord's University, you will learn how to be disciples of Christ, teachers, husbands, and fathers. You only get 24 months here at the Lord's University. Don't waste your time."

So I'm pretty excited for this Christmas season here at the MTC. Everyone says Christmas Day here is like the best, so I'm looking forward. I've realized that I've never thought more about and/or felt closer to Christ in any other Christmas than in this one. I know he is my Savior; I feel his love more and more everyday. I am grateful for this Christmas Season. I am grateful for Christ and his infinite Atonement that he performed for each one of us.

Lately, I have been trying to memorize my favorite scriptures in Chinese. One of my scriptures for this week is John 3:16-17. Because God so loved each and every one of us, he sent is Son so that through Christ we can all live back with Him again.

During one of our devotionals, we sang the Primary song "He Sent His Son." It has such a simple yet profound and powerful message. At that time, that was one of the strongest times I have felt the spirit here at the MTC. As we sang it, I pondered the words, thinking about how that is the reason we are all here as missionaries: to share the message that is so simply expressed in this song.

How could the Father tell the world of love and tenderness?
He sent his Son, a newborn babe, with peace and holiness.
How could the Father show the world the pathway we should go?
He sent his Son to walk with men on earth, that we may know.
How could the Father tell the world of sacrifice, of death?
He sent his Son to die for us and rise with living breath.
What does the Father ask of us? What do the scriptures say?
Have faith, have hope, live like his Son, help others on their way.
What does he ask? Live like his Son.

I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Christmas as we ponder and give thanks for His sacrifice and His infinite love for each one of us!

Merry Christmas!
Feliz Navidad!
Shèngdànkuàilè!
聖誕快樂

Elder Holt
Hóng Zhǎnglǎo
洪長老

This is Elder Matua, one of the elders who left. He is probably one of the coolest guys I know, and he has a speaking voice that melts your insides (as Elder Leon and I like to put it), especially when he says "I love you" in Chinese.
This is Elder Matua, one of the elders who left. He is probably one of the coolest guys I know, and he has a speaking voice that melts your insides (as Elder Leon and I like to put it), especially when he says "I love you" in Chinese.


One of the outgoing elders gave us a blacklight... We had some fun with it

No comments:

Post a Comment