Monday, January 5, 2015

Week 8: MTC Week 8‏

Hope everyone had a Happy New Years! For the first time, I got to sleep through all the New Years celebrations. That was probably the best New Years gift ever, haha.

This was an interesting week. On P day last Monday, since the Provo Temple was closed, our district had the assignment to help clean the temple. It was a neat experience. I was surprised and impressed by how meticulous the deep cleaning process was for the temple. (we spent about 2 hours cleaning corners of walls with cu-tips!) But it made me realize more how special and sacred of a place the temple is. It was also cool to go today to the temple and see everything we cleaned, haha.

So, since the BYU semester starts, everyone is switching and getting new teachers. We had our last day with our two teachers... and everyone was super sad. Both of them shared special experiences from their missions and shared their powerful testimonies, and it was then that I decided that I want to be like my MTC teachers when I return from my mission. They have helped shaped me into the missionary I am now, and I felt have had a powerful influence on me.
This is Wu Laoshi on our last day with him. He served in Vancouver, Canada, and his Chinese is awesome. His mission stories made us all cry. He's my favorite. I'm going to miss him,wo zui hao de pengyou.
This is Tan Laoshi. She is such an inspiring teacher. She is also married to Elder Christensen from the District, haha. I'll miss her too.
This week, our district received our travel plans to leave MTC to our missions!! It's a mix of excitement and nervousness to know that just one week from now I'll be on a plane to Toronto! I'm scared about the Chinese, since I know I'm not going to understand hardly any of it when i get there. But I know that in time the language will come, and everything will work out.

Oh and last Sunday was our last week as zone leaders. But I was then assigned as district leader for this last week of our MTC stay, haha.

We had a devotional on Sunday by one of the directors of Church media for the missionaries. (He is over church videos like "He Is the Gift" and stuff like that.) He shared the scripture Jeremiah 16:16, relating it to how the Lord is utilizing technology to enable the restored gospel to be shared to everyone around the Earth, "from every mountain, and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks." It was a really cool and eye-opening devotional. He showed us some of the church's new videos (not released yet) that are designed to spark people's interest to learn about the gospel of Jesus Christ. He also talked about the "He Is the Gift" video for Christmas - it got 33 million views around the world, generated 200,000 referrals for missionaries, and led to 100,000 new investigators. It is amazing how the Lord is using technology to share His message around the world. He also gave us a sneak peak for the Easter 2015 video, "Because He Lives." He said it was going to be even better!!

Favorite scripture this week is Ether 12:27. I realized this week that the Lord often gives us trials so that we can realize what our weaknesses and strengths are, and then turn to Him to make our weaknesses strong and our strengths stronger. I am grateful for the opportunity He gives us to continually improve and become more like Him. As we begin a new year, I am trying to be more determined to see every stumbling block as a stepping stone, and I hope we can all do the same!

Elder Holt
Hóng Zhǎnglǎo
洪長老

Wasn't feeling too well this week. This was me not wanting to get up at 6:30am.
So Elder Leon decided to tuck me into a chicken wing.
More temple walk pics
Elder OQuist in the black. He is from Sweden, and is going to Hong Kong speaking Cantonese Chinese. He's da best.


No comments:

Post a Comment