Our investigator
Leo just passed his baptismal interview! So sweet! He is getting
baptized this Sunday! He is such a quiet, shy guy. I sort of feel like I
don't know him that well because he hardly talks, haha. The missionary
who did his interview (it was over the phone) said he asked Leo, "Hey,
how are you doing?" Leo said, "good, I am just very excited to receive
the baptism and follow the Jesus Christ." "Great!" he says. "I don't
know you that well, so what kinds of things do you do for fun, Leo? What
are your hobbies?" "Preparing to be baptized." was his only answer,
haha.
We had quite a few investigators at
church, so it was pretty sweet to see a group of Chinese people sitting
together in sacrament meeting. However, the average age for our ward is
probably around 70, so fellowship for Chinese YSA investigators is a
little difficult here. But our goal is to have enough people to start a
Chinese gospel principles class!
I also went on
exchanges to a small town called Leamington. It is supposedly around
the same population as Georgetown, but I highly doubt it. Georgetown
seems a lot more developed, haha. The town is built around this factory,
and all over the streets are Mexicans and Jamaicans. Everywhere. I
loved the day talking to Jamaicans!! They are some of the coolest people
on earth I have decided! Especially if you learn a phrase in their
language and walk up to a group of big Jamaican guys and say it, they
all start freaking out! Then you learn some new Jamaican phrases, then
they teach you cool Jamaican handshakes, and then you teach them the
gospel. It was a fun day.
This week I have
realized how crucial the Book of Mormon is for everyone! As members, we
need to be continually regaining a witness that the Book of Mormon is
true, and continually reconverting ourselves to the gospel so we can
retain our testimony and commitment to follow the Savior. Yes, Grandpa
and Grandma, Book of Mormon, 30 minutes a day. Miracles truly happen as
result. I testify of that.
Elder Holt
(I asked Wesley if he had a chance to speak Spanish with the Mexican people in Leamington, and he sad, "Yeah, I got to talk to a lot of Mexicans in Spanish. Good practice. I realized I don't know (or at least don't remember all of the gospel terms in Spanish. I know those words better in Chinese, haha." It's crazy to think that he now knows some words better in Mandarin than in Spanish.)
This is Yiwen, who almost got baptized in Toronto before she left to China in the summer. She is in China, doing family history so when she comes back in a couple weeks she can get baptized and take her ancestors' names to the temple.
No comments:
Post a Comment