Elder Arnold visited the mission this past week, and it was intense!! He
is so straightforward and to the point. No beating around the bush with
him! But he does it in such a way that you feel his love and sincere
desire to not only help the mission, but help you personally in your
life. I had a 20 minute interview with him on Wednesday. I had no clue
what to expect. He asked about the mission, but I was surprised because a
lot of the time he was asking about my plans when I get home. Halfway
through the interview, he says, "Elder, this will be an interview you
will never forget." Definitely right about that one. I was pretty much
getting life advice from a general authority. He sort of rebuked me for
not having thought a lot about of goals or plans for when I get home...
I'm torn because I know I it's important, but at the same time don't
want to think about my mission ending. :/ He did say that missionaries
who work hard in their mission will also work hard in school, work, and
the rest of their lives. It gave me the determination to really sprint
to the end these last two months. And that's all I have to say about
going home :)
On Wednesday night, Elder Arnold, President Shields, Elder Carroll,
and I visited an active member family in our ward. President shared a
spiritual message, and then Elder Arnold gave everyone a paper and pen,
and asked us to take 7 minutes and write down all the non members we
know, no matter who or where they are. Between the family, President
Shields, and us, we wrote down 370 names. Then Elder Arnold had us all
review our list, then get on our knees, and the father gave a prayer.
Then we put a star on the paper next to any of the names that came to
mind during or after the prayer. Then, Elder Arnold asked each person
about a name they starred, and then we made specific plans on an
invitation that family member could extend to that particular non
member. It really opened our eyes to all the people with whom we can
share the gospel. Through that activity, we set up like 5 or 6 specific
appointments where us or the English missionaries could meet their
friends.
Then in the zone conferences, Elder Arnold talked about how to more
effectively work with members, using that appointment we had as one of
the examples. The meetings were awesome, one reason being because he was
so involved, energetic, and hands on. One thing I learned was to never
read a scripture to an investigator. Too often, we'll read scriptures
and give them the "correct" answer or interpretation without leaving
room for the spirit to teach them from Christ and his prophets. Elder
Arnold said when he was with Elder Bednar for 3 days, he taught him to
have others read the scripture, then ask them "what did you get out of
that scripture?" then waiting until they respond. Doing that has already
made a world of difference as it teaches them to receive personal
revelation from the scriptures.
This week is going to be intense... Elder Arnold changed the way we
do exchanges, so now one of us goes to the zone leader's area, and one
of us stays. I prefer this way of doing it, but it messes up the plans
we had, so now we have 4 exchanges to do this week. Pretty much going to
be driving all around the mission. It'll be fun :)
Love you all!
Elder Holt


No comments:
Post a Comment