Last Sunday a Chinese
guy I had never seen before, looked like in his 20s, just showed up to
church in a white shirt and tie. His name is Ben. He was baptized in
China 10 years ago with his family. He said he saw us walking around the
university a lot, and decided it was time for him to go back to church!
After meeting with him, we found out that Elder Cheng and I helped
reactivate his younger brother Phillip in Toronto, and we used to visit
his family every week! Such a small world, and God plays a huge part in
it.
We also met with another Chinese returning
member named Matthew who just got back from China. He was baptized in
Toronto about a year ago, and he loves hanging out and teaching with
missionaries. And the best part is.... He has the sweetest British
accent I have ever heard! And apparently he is pretty loaded, because he
was planning to buy an $80,000 car last weekend...
We
went to see an eternal investigator named Neuman the other day... He
loves to chat with "comissionaries" (he can't say "missionaries" right)
and goes to church pretty much every Sunday... and brings his family,
even though his wife understands no English. He treated us to Indian
food the other day... it was super funny to see a Chinese guy try to
order strange Indian dishes, haha. He ordered a bunch of extra curry
because apparently his 5 year old son (who has lived in Canada for 2
months now, doesn't speak English, and is currently attending a French
immersion school... not sure why, haha) LOVES curry! That's what happens
when you come to Canada and mix a bunch of cultures together!
We
had a lot of investigators bomb and cancel appointments this week...
but on the bright side Alicia finally set a baptismal date for October
18th! She is doing awesome. She watched the General Women's broadcast,
loved church, and is attending the YSA FHE activities!
Also (hopefully it is still there) Sister Penrod is on the front page of lds.org. I served with her in the Toronto for a few months. It was cool to see one of my friends on lds.org! this is the link. I'll include some pictures so you know I'm not just making this up.
![]() |
| Sister Penrod on the home page of lds.org - September 28, 2015 |
| The Bayview family! (Sister Chu, Sister Penrod, Elder Carroll, Elder Womack, Elder Cheng, and Elder Holt) - Brampton - July 28, 2015 |
| Elder Smith, Sister Penrod, & Elder Holt at the zoo - June 1, 2015 |
Since our
district has built up so much unity, we call ourselves "the
brotherhood." (and because we all love to quote that line from "The
Testaments") It really does feel like a brotherhood. My last district
meeting, I had Elder Carroll give a spiritual thought on 1 Peter 2:17
"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king." It
was kind of a joke to add on to our name of the Brotherhood. But it made
me realized how you come to love not only the people you serve, but
also the people with whom you serve alongside. :) I shared an object lesson I hid starbursts all around the room. I gave
everyone in the district 30 seconds to collect as many as they could.
During that time, I stood at the front of the room holding a handful of
them. After they all sat down, none of them asked for the starbursts I
was holding in my hand. Tying it into missionary work, starbursts are
investigators God has prepared and put in our paths. Some of them are
out in the open, easy to find. Some of them take a little more effort
looking to find. Others, you only find if you ask someone for them. God
puts starbursts and opportunities to share the gospel throughout our
paths. It is up to us to recognize and pick up the starbursts, whatever
way they may come.
Elder Holt
洪长老
| Taking advantage of Burger King's 10-piece nugget for $2 deal |
| We took some stuff from our apartment to make a display for a family history fair. I was pretty proud of it, so I took a picture of it :) |
| We did service for a member. Driving behind him, it kinda looked like his van would shoot out wings and start flying, haha. |

No comments:
Post a Comment