Monday, October 5, 2015

Week 47 - SO MUCH SPIRIT this week!!

Such a week packed with amazing experiences! General Conference makes everything better :)

We taught Alicia this week, and she is super excited for baptism on the 18th! We taught her the word of wisdom this week, and it was one of the coolest lessons I have ever taught! At first, she was really hesitant about giving up coffee and her occasionally smoking. (She drinks a TON of coffee everyday, and even bought a new $50 coffee maker the other day). We had a member, Matthew (Chinese guy with a British accent) at the lesson, and he said, "you should pray about it and try to live the word of wisdom, and you will receive an answer of what to do." I said, "that's a good idea, let's pray about it right now and ask God if you should live the word of wisdom." To which she responded, "no, I already know what answer I'll get." After sitting there for a few seconds, the Spirit must have just lovingly smacked her in the face, because she then grabbed her pack of cigarettes from her bag, walked over to the trash can, and chucked them in the garbage!!! It was so awesome!! When she went home, she sold her coffee maker online, and threw away the rest of her coffee! It was a testimony to me that the Spirit truly changes people's desires! She drinks hot chocolate now, and doesn't even want to drink coffee anymore. Because she gave up coffee, I committed to give up soda to know what it feels like to give something up... and it is harder than I expected, haha. The next day at zone council, they were giving out free boxes of Jarritos (my favorite Mexican soda) from a restaurant that shut down, and I couldn't drink any of it! :'(

Funny experience, we texted every phone number we had in our planners and area books and invited them to conference. We learned that this sometimes brings strange people to church... a guy we dubbed with the name Dreadlocks Jordan showed up on Saturday afternoon, and after the session started to bash with us and tell us all the problems he had with Mormons. But he was against 4 missionaries and 5 experienced members, on our turf, so he stood no chance, haha. But if there is one thing I have learned on my mission about bashing and arguing doctrine with people, it is that it often leads to feelings of contention, which often drives the feelings of the Spirit away. It is important to stand up for what you believe and maintain the Spirit by bearing testimony.

But anyway, conference was sweet! What a special opportunity we had to sustain three new brethren to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles! Their testimonies were powerful! Some of the highlights for me were President Uchtdorf at the beginning when he talked about how Jesus Christ uses our weaknesses to help us become strong, while Satan uses our weaknesses to discourage us from even trying. That was something I really needed to hear. And of course Elder Holland's tribute to our amazing mothers. Mom, you truly are amazing! I love you! We listened to the Sunday sessions in Chinese with Alicia, but I still need to re-listen to them in English! But the Spirit speaks all languages!! :)

That is all for now. Windsor is finally entering sweater weather! My favorite season!

Elder Holt
Mooncakes! In celebration of last week's Mid Autumn festival! 中秋节快乐!
 
Elder Carroll


   Elder Nugent and I are the new Tongan missionaries here...
 

  

We were with Alicia between sessions of conference on Sunday, 
making waffles and taking selfies :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment