Yesterday
at Sacrament meeting, it was sweet! When I first came into Windsor, there
were weeks where no Chinese people would come to church. Yesterday,
about one third of the congregation was Chinese! We dominated our own
section of the benches! It is amazing to see how much the Lord is
growing the Chinese area here with solid Chinese member families moving
in like the Song family, random Chinese less-active YSA members who out
of the blue decide they were missing the church and wanted to come back,
and really prepared investigators like Alicia who have been placed in
our path. Most of the growth here, I feel like I didn't have much to do
with. It helps me realize that this work is SO much bigger than I am,
and my personal concerns, problems, and weaknesses are easily overcome
when I let myself be an instrument in the Master's hands.
As
for Alicia, she passed her baptismal interview!! Woohooo!! She is
really excited for her baptism this Sunday! Her only concern is a huge
lack of outside support from her family and friends who don't think she
should get baptized into the Mormon church. But she has a rock solid
testimony now! And she is meeting more and more people from the church
who are becoming like family to her. :)
This
week I gained a testimony of the "round-up" (which is where before a
lesson we get as many people to join in as possible by "rounding them
up", something I feel weird doing to strangers in public places
sometimes). One of my zone leaders was on exchanges in our area, and
before one of our lessons at the university with a not-so-solid
investigator, he went up to some Chinese guy who was studying across the
room, and said (paraphrased), "hey we are about to talk about Jesus, do you
want to come listen?" To which (and to my surprise) the man replied,
"sure, how long will it take?" We were planning already to teach the
plan of salvation, and then Lee (his name) said, "before we start, I
have a few questions that I want answers to. Where were we before this
life, and where will we go after we die?" My jaw must have dropped,
I had never heard a Chinese person ask those questions that
straightforwardly! Usually Chinese people focus on this life, and don't
even wonder or care about the before and after because that is just
their mentality (not always the case, but for the most part). He also
came to church yesterday. I thought to myself afterwards, "Wow, the
round-up works!"
加拿大的感恩节快乐!(Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!)
Elder Holt
洪长老
Highlight of the week... ELDER IKEDA!!! Or I guess I should say Nobuyuki, or Boochan (feels weird to say). He is visiting the mission and took his first stop in Windsor! So honored to have dinner not once but twice with the Japanese legend! For any of you who don't know, we used to be companions in Toronto when I was still a pretty new missionary. He helped me a lot. :)
Woodstock Specialty Training - First is a picture of the district and zone leaders in the London zone. The next picture you can see the back of my head as I am sitting next to my "mom" and "dad" (Elder Cheng and Elder Womack) watching Sister Clayton's instruction during a Specialty Leadership training.
We cooked chicken hearts we bought from the newly opened Chinese supermarket... delicious!
| Elder Carroll |
Found some good winter stuff from previous missionaries as we were cleaning out our closet :)
| Elder Red Riding Hood |

No comments:
Post a Comment